Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Staying Current with Global Ed.

Recently I've become a little depressed over the idea that unless I change subject areas I might be stuck teaching similar content for many years to come. How boring! While I was writing a reflection of an article (source below) I came across this quote that really inspired me:

"Students today will be in contact with individuals of different gender, linguistic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds. They will experience some of history's most serious health problems, inequities among less developed and more-developed nations, environmental deterioration, overpopulation, transnational migrations, ethnic nationalists, and the decline of the nation-state."
(Kirkwood, 2001).

After reading this quote I realized that instead of dwelling on curriculum that might not change I could create more globally minded research projects and stay current. With globalization bringing us closer to our world-wide neighbors it's becoming crucial to include this type of analysis in secondary school.

If nothing else, I'm more enthused about teaching Social Studies. Staying current is not a choice but a necessity, and with students doing the global research for me I think it's possible.

Article I reviewed:

Burnouf, L. "Global Awareness and Perspectives in Global Education". (2004). Canadian Social Studies. 38. 3.

No comments: