Friday, November 14, 2008

Speaking of the Environment..

I was just reminded of a club at my practicum school that I was pleasantly surprised to see.. An Environment club. It was only made up of about six students and a teacher but they were working hard at creating change within the school.  I was able to watch a presentation that they did in one of the staff meetings.  They showed the staff the amount of energy that the school was using and that it was the highest in the district.  The staff was surprised to see these stats and without the environment club I don't know if they would have ever been told.  They put forth goals for the staff to reduce their energy consumption, mainly regarding the use of lights in their classrooms. They suggested turning on only one or two of the bars of lights, and using natural light whenever possible. After this presentation, I noticed many teachers turning down their lights and conserving energy. I think that this small club may make a huge difference within the school and it was great to see. 

1 comment:

Cameron White said...

I was also very impressed by the environment club presentation. It was very suprising to see that a fairly modern school like Spectrum was using the most power of any in the district! Nearly twice as much as Oak Bay, a much older school with TWO buildings.

Finding out why might make an interesting research project for a Socials 10 or 11 class.