Thursday, November 20, 2008

Indecently Exposed

Last year on my two week practicum I was asked to teach Career and Health 9. The class was currently on a racism unit, and the students were mildly engaged. When I took over to teach my classes I asked the class how I could teach the unit to make the students more engaged. The students overwhelminly told me that they needed more contextually relevent material because at the moment the material they were learning was foreign and mostly occuring in different countries in different time periods. The first thing I thought of when dealing with racism was Jane Elliott's video "Blue Eyes", and thought her controversial style might help to engage the students. Through my search for the video I came across another of her videos called "Indecently Exposed" This video is filmed in Winnipeg only a few years ago. The video deals with the treatment of aboriginal people in Canada or should I say the mistreatment.

The students responded very well to the video and many of them went home and further researched Jane and her reasoning behind creating the workshops. The students told me many stories of when the have heard racial comments made about aboriginal people, and realized that the issue of racism is contextually relevent.

No comments: