Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Remembering to Come Together

I’m a little late posting something about Remembrance Day but it is still on my mind. Cruising the news channels on Tuesday I was really happy to see all the newscasters wearing poppies and doing segments on WWI. It’s not very often that I feel a part of something that is culturally significant in Canada - besides watching Canadian Olympic hockey or eating pancakes with maple syrup. I often feel about Canadians that we are merely a small group of individuals who just happen to be living in the same place. However, on Remembrance we make a point of remembering our heritage and the sacrifices many men and women had to create this country. We come together, even if it’s for about two minutes, and take part in a nation-wide event (moments of silence).

Some people may be averse to wearing a poppy, or participating in the remembrance ceremonies because they believe it glorifies war. For the rest of us, we are able to come together as a nation and thank those who made sacrifices. This is one of the most important days of the year in Canada and I’m glad it’s taught in our school system. When I have the chance to teach Social Studies 10 and 11 this winter, I hope to create a powerful unit of WWI (complete with some Passchendale clips) because it was one of our crowning moments as a Nation.

Now, back to the hockey and maple syrup…

No comments: